Wednesday 14 October 2020

Watercolouring a 3D Embossing Folder Image

Hi Everyone I'm a huge fan of Kath's Blog ... Diary of the Everyday Crafter.
 
Kath is an amazing artist and always provides so much inspiration. She recently used one of the newer Tim Holtz 3D embossing folders - a poinsettia and did 2 posts (Post 1 and Post 2), I couldn't resist giving it a go.
 
The background to the card is made by rubbing your ink pad over the negative (flat) surface of the embossing folder. Now this gave me a few problems and a few throw aways. When I re-read Kath's instructions she said to wipe the ink pad over the surface and then spritz with water, take your watercolour paper and spritz with water on both surfaces before sandwiching between the embossing folder surfaces. I brayered the ink over the embossing folder before I spritzed, I think this spread the ink out a little more evenly.
 
Here's my take on Kath's technique.
 
Card 1 has been water coloured with Viviva color sheets then I used Lyra coloured pencils to pick up the definition from the embossing. The centre of the flowers were dotted with liquid pearls
 

Card 2 I used Shadow Black watercolours (blue and green) for a more monotone effect and again used Lyra pencils to accentuate the embossed areas.


Card 3 I just added some Frantage Embossing Powder to the centre of the flowers using an Embossing pen then heated it from the back of the card.


I hope you have a chance to check  out Kath's blog and have a go at this technique it was a lot of fun.




Card Recipe
Stamps: Tim Holtz Sentiment
Paper: Watercolour, 110lb White
Ink: Ranger Archival, Versafine Claire
Accessories: Cuttle bug, Embossing folder (Tim Holtz 3D Poinsettia), Viviva Color sheets, Shadow Black watercolours, Frantage Embossing powder, Embossing Pen.
Techniques: Embossing folder watercolouring

13 comments:

Susan said...

Great to see your results from the new embossing folder! They are all great, but I especially like the second one - love the shades of grey and the text stamping.

aussie aNNie said...

Loving this gorgeous stamp/image, so coloured beautifully too. Great cards and embossing folder . x

Karen Dunbrook said...

how fab are these!! Great holiday cards...so beautiful.
xx Karen

Bonnie said...

What an awesome embossing folder, Christine! I love all the ways you've used it, especially with the contrast of the red poinsettias!

HilaryJane said...

These cards are so clever, I have recently used a brayer to ink an embossing folder with good effect, but your cards take the technique to another level. I am going to check out Kath's cards now xx

Nstiz said...

All three of these are fantastic but my favorite is the tone on tone! I had never had the nerve to try and color embossing before but you did an outstanding job of that. I also love the white with the tinted background. That's a great folder too!

Leslie Miller said...

Hmmmm... I've tried this ink on the embossing folder technique several times and am never happy with the results. Have not tried spritzing, however. I'll give it a go! I heard that DOX inks and Encore inks work well. You've got three beautiful cards here, Christine. Beautiful folder! The third card might be my favorite. Maybe the second card. I don't have to choose, thank goodness!

nancy littrell said...

Gorgeous dry embossed poinsettia images, Christine. TFS the link to Kath's blog. I will be checking it out. The new 3D embossing folders look like a must have too. TFS your steps on how to dry emboss watercolored images. You have me so inspired:-) Love and Hugs..Nancy

ahlers5 said...

These are so pretty! I love all three versions. I will be working on poinsettias sometime next week, hopefully!

Ros Crawford said...

You've created three terrific cards Christine... I love them all!

Loll said...

I LOVE all three designs using this amazing embossing folder Christine! Great work to show just how different the designs look using different mediums and colours. Very cool!! xx

Mac Mable said...

Wow ....what stunning cards, which are so creative, unique and amazing x.

BożenA said...

Two stunning cards, Christine! I especially love the third card for its amazing colors. As if flowers were painted with frost.
xx