Tuesday 28 May 2024

Group of Seven Cardmakers technique - Bokeh

Hi everyone, it's time for the Group of Seven Crafters monthly technique. This month we played with a Bokeh technique.
  • I taped my piece of watercolour card to my mat creating a border and it also helps reduces the warping of the paper as it gets quite wet.
  • I used a large paint brush to wet the whole card.
  • After it was wetted I used 3 different colours of water colour on each of my samples, gold snuck into all of them.
  • I let the card dry then removed the tape. Little bits of water colour seeped under the tape but I think that adds to the interest.
  • Bokeh made easy a Wplus 9 video gives you and idea of how to do the bokeh circles.
  • I have the perfect stencil for this by Magenta (TM179 duo circle stencils), but you can make your own stencils by using different size circles with dies or punches on acetate or velum.
  • I also used Hero Arts White ink (Unicorn) pad and a small blending foam. I find the Hero Arts white ink is one of the juiciest ink pads and gives a real strong white print with stamps or sponge.

You can either add your white bokeh circles before or after you stamp. I really like the misty look of adding the white circles after my stamping, you see more of the image if you stamp after putting the bokeh circles on. My Christmas card stash really needs a boost so I did three Christmas cards
This was a really fun technique and one I will be doing again.

Card 1 Stamp- Unity (Grumpy Owls) BetterPress Sentiment

Card 2 Stamp- Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous, BetterPress Sentiment

Card 3 Stamp- Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous, Mamma Elephant Easy Christmas Sentiments. 
It was hard to capture the image behind the bokeh on this one 😀




Card Recipe
Stamps:
Paper:
Ink: Hero Arts White, Versafine Clair Nocturn, Archival Grey
Accessories: Magenta Stencil set (TM179)
Techniques: Watercolour, Bokeh

16 comments:

Leslie Miller said...

Wow, those are some beautiful bokeh backgrounds, Christine!

crafty-stamper said...

Fabulous cards and techniques.
Carol x

Darnell said...

These are quite moody and distinctive, Christine, and I love the result you achieved! The owls in the blizzard card is my fave!! Hugs, Darnell

Julia Aston said...

Very misty and mysterious with your Bokeh circles added over your images Christine - my fav is the grumpy owls! Julia xx

Bonnie said...

Awesome mystical looks by adding the bokeh circles over the stamped design, Christine. Thanks for the tip about the ink.

Lisa Elton said...

Fabulous times three, Christine!

Susan said...

Three great examples of bokeh in fabulous colour combinations - I love the way the gold snuck into all of them! Interesting idea to the bokeh circles after stamping the image - I wouldn't have thought of doing that.

aussie aNNie said...

So Pretty! I like these colors and the card design! Sorry for lack of visits but trying to de clutter and prep for our move in a few months time xx

Pat said...

Three wonderful bokeh cards in beautiful colours Christine, and I simply adore the grumpy owls and fun sentiment on the first, and then the holly and script and postcard style of the second, and then the much brighter fiery colours of the bokeh on the last, and using the same stamp but looking so different. x

Loll said...

Three awesome bokeh cards, Christine. Great idea to make three Christmas cards ... I am woefully behind on my stash. I love the idea of adding the stamping before or after the circles, depending on the look you want. Very creative! xx

Nstiz said...

Oh my gosh these are outstanding! Love the ethereal look of them, even the ones where the image is hard to see. They are SO dreamy. And I have the grumpy birds but haven't used them yet. They make me smile and are SO me!
Glad to get another notification too. I just wish they were more consistent.

Brenda in IN said...

These are awesome and I love the colors you used. They are ethereal looking and really make you look to see what's hidden behind the circles.

HilaryJane said...

You have definitely created great atmosphere on these cards. Perfect for Christmas. Love it. Thanks for the inspiration xx

ahlers5 said...

Wow, I absolutely love this technique. I think I will try it. Beautiful cards!

Robyn Oliver said...

Three gorgeous cards Christine, the effect you achieved adding the Bokeh technique after the stamps is unique and really fabulous. Robyn

BożenA said...

And more stunning cards with bokeh technique. You're really great at it. I especially love the first card, it's like a frame from a movie, with huge snowflakes slowly floating in front of the lens... WOW!
xx