Sunday 5 May 2024

Grab a Cup of Coffee and Save What's in the Pot

Hi everyone, I have a fun technique using coffee and stencils for you to check out.

There are a few you tube videos out there showing you how to stain paper with coffee and using the wet coffee to imprint the stencil image on the paper. The coffee creates a beautiful aged look and now I have all these backgrounds ready to use in my stash. 

I used two types of paper the first was the off white packing/wrapping paper which comes as filler in some packages, I think this is my favourite. The prints on these were more like an aged distressed piece of paper. The second was some hand made paper which is a lot thicker and also pulled out more of the colour from the coffee stain and looked more like a dark inky colour as you will see below.

To create the stain I used a couple of tablespoons of instant coffee mixed with hot water. I put it to one side to go cold. I made about a cup of coffee which was way too much and ended up throwing most of it away, half a cup would have been plenty. 
I used a foil tray and poured some coffee into the bottom.
I dipped the paper in so it was completely covered front and back.
Using one of my crafting Teflon mats I lay out the pieces of paper and placed a stencil over the paper. I left them until they were completely dry.

Here are some of the thinner paper prints I made, aren't those colours gorgeous and just look at the stencil detail



Card #1 is the thinner paper. I used a Carabelle clock stencil, some Andy Skinner Stampendous and  Stampers Anonymous stamps.

Card #2 is the hand made paper, look how much coffee colour was picked up and the detail on the stencil really shows through. It's so neat how the solid part of the stencil creates the lighter part of the print. The stencil is a Rebecca Baer design, 


You will be seeing a few more of my backgrounds over the next few weeks.



Card Recipe
Stamps: Stampendous, Stampers Anonymous
Paper: Hand Made, Packing Paper
Ink: Versafine Clair, Ranger Distress
Accessories: Coffee, Stencils
Techniques: Coffee Staining, Stencil

8 comments:

aussie aNNie said...

Brilliant and love that you took use of that ytube and made some awesome backgrounds xx

Susan said...

That turned out so well! I wonder if it would work with tea as well? I like the thinner paper better for sure. The first card is fabulous with all that black stamping on top of it. Looking forward to seeing future cards with your backgrounds.

crafty-stamper said...

Fabulous backgrounds and cards.
Carol x

Leslie Miller said...

These are so cool! How interesting that you just laid the stencils on top and they developed like this as they dried -- like a photo developing. Fantastic! Your cards look amazing and I know the rest of your backgrounds are going to make fabulous foundations for your future stamping!

Bonnie said...

What a fantastic technique, Christine! I love the results and I'm wondering what of my stencils will work with it! Love the cards and can't wait to see more!

HilaryJane said...

These are just excellent. thanks for sharing how to get the look xx

Loll said...

So cool, Christine! LOVE all those fabulous prints you got with the thinner paper, and your card is so special. LOVE the deeper tones with the thicker paper. What fun to experiment. I will definitely give this a try. Years ago I tried tea staining and ended up with a card that I was happy with, but that was before card makers were using stencils. They really make a huge impact paired with the coffee staining. xx

Trina P. said...

All amazing, especially the unfinished pieces. This almost makes me want to start drinking coffee. 😂