Thursday 19 April 2018

New Penny black birds

This is one of my recent purchases which I thought fun to ink up.  I love playing with the Penny black watercolour stamps, althoughI'm certainly no pro at these but I still have fun.

I used a mixture of markers and zigs to paint up the stamps, spritzed with a little water and then blend with a watercolour brush.  Once everything was dry I added some coloured archival ink on the branch and carefully over the flowers and bird using the mini archival ink pads.

I've started to really like touching up my watercolouring with coloured archival inks as they allow you to move some of your watercolours after they are applied.

The background has a blue wet on wet watercolour wash to simulate sky.  Wet on wet watercolour causes pooling of colour which is great for the sky.



I'm entering this for the CAS Watercolour challenge - birds


I'd love to hear what you think 😊








Card Recipe
Stamps: Penny Black
Paper: 110lb cream Linen, 140 Lb watercolour, Black
Ink: Ranger archival
Accessories: zigs, Distress inks, water spritzer watercolour brush.
Techniques: Direct to stamp, watercolouring

10 comments:

Trina P. said...

Gorgeous! Your watercolouring is beautiful. Love the blue sky background. I recently bought colored Archival inks and can’t wait to use it. Love this! xx

Loll said...

This is beautiful Christine! I LOVE your watercoloured bird and flowers ... so pretty!! I need to get this stamp! :) Love the softness of your watercoloured sky. Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Watercolour! xx

Susan said...

Lovely watercoloured bird and a gorgeous sky - really well done! Thanks for joining us at CAS Watercolour!

Viv said...

I am currently playing with a cherry blossom stamp (not PB) but no birds! Have to get this stamp Christine - it's beautiful Your colouring is really good - I love it!

Mac Mable said...

So delicate and pretty. Love your water colour effect on the background and wow to the stamping of the branch/flowers and that ever so pretty bird. Beautiful card Christine x

Bonnie said...

I love how you've used this stamp, Christine! The colors on the bird and blooms are so natural and beautiful! Great job on the sky! Frame worthy, my friend!

Nstiz said...

This technique is not so easy and it appears you mastered it! I'd never know this was a stamp since it appears to be a watercolor work of art! Beautifully done!

Leslie Miller said...

I adore all these Penny Black stamps, yet have only one of this type from many, many years ago. You achieved such a lovely watercolor with this, and no lines, which is part of the beauty of these stamps. It looks like an original painting. I love it, Christine!

BożenA said...

Great work with watercolors, Christine! I love how you mixed the colors, making the picture look so natural. Flowers, twigs and birds look like you paint every detail separately. This card looks like a real watercolor artwork.
BożenA xoxo

scrappymo! said...

This card is so beautiful!