Tuesday 3 January 2017

Double stencil Christmas ornament

It's always a good time to create a Christmas card.



I'm entering this for the
CAS watercolour Challenge Snowflakes.
Happy Little Stampers January watercolour challenge.

This card was a little experiment in using 2 stencils.  The first was an ornament stencil I created using a Stampin Up Ornament die with lots of open space to create the frame, the second was a stencil my friend Loll cut for me a few months back with snowflakes.
I elevated the watercolour paper by laying it on an ink pad, it makes removing the stencils later much easier and reduced the risk of smearing the image when lifting if off.  If you watch Lolls Video  she does a great job of describing the technique.
In the picture below you can just see the ornament stencil on the water colour paper and the second snowflake stencil is beside it on the the work surface.


Carefully place the second stencil on top of the first as below being very careful not move the the lower one.  It's hard to see but both stencils are on the watercolour paper.  (Afterthought  ðŸ’¡- you could pre-position the stencils and tape them together before placing place on the watercolour card, that should reduce the risk of moving the 2 stencils before lifting).


Sprinkle your powdered ink over the open areas of the stencil.  Here I used Brushos but I'm sure most powdered inks would work. When I sprinkle I do try and get the powder into all the spaces and my technique is to tap the bottom of the container over the area you want to cover. If you look at the container in image 1 there is a push pin in the lid, when you remove the pin the hole will allow the powder to come out.  I gleaned this trick from Sandy Allnock, Sandy has some great video's on powdered inks.

Next take your water spritzer and spritz the powdered inks so they are wet but not pooling.  The stencil should protect your white space as long as you don't flood the paper.  Once you have spritzed carefully pick up both stencils at the same time (this is where taping the stencils together may help).  You will be left with the outline of the ornament and the image of your second stencil which for this one is the snowflake.




I also outlined the ornament with a silver gel pen by replacing the stencil. I hope you liked my take on the stencil and powdered ink tech


Card Recipe
Stamps: Simon Says Stamp sentiment
Paper: Aquarelle Hot press watercolour paper 140 lb, 110lb white, navy
Ink: Delicata Silver
Accessories: Stencils, Brushos, water spritzer
Techniques: Stenciling with powdered inks

13 comments:

Diane said...

Fabulous tutorial and what a lovely ornament design.

Hugs Diane

Loll said...

This is beautiful Christine. Great job with double stenciling with brushos. Your ornament is amazing. Love the silver outlining too. Thanks so much for sharing with us at CAS Watercolour! xx

Bonnie said...

You got a perfect image with the stencils, Christine! A technique that I find quite tricky! Bravo! It is beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing this with us at CAS Watercolour!

nancy littrell said...

Not only am I impressed with your double stenciled Brushos technique, but Love your photo tutorial. So helpful to "see" how you did your technique. I still have a photo tutorial on my to do list for 2017. TFS and the inspiration my friend. Hugs, nancy

Rema DeLeeuw said...

Fabulous take on the challenge! I love your clean and simple design.Thanks for playing along with us at the HLS Watercolor Challenge.

Susan said...

Great idea to layer two stencils - love the final results! I must try this. Beautiful colours with the blue inside and the silver edging. Thanks for joining us at CAS Watercolour!

Trina P. said...

Beautiful card. If using powdered inks isn't difficult enough, you take it up a notch with this awesome double stencil technique. Fabulous job.

nwilliams6 said...

Great tutorial, Christine. Love this layered look. I need more stencils! Great card and I am so glad you did a Christmas one so I will feel inspired to do one too. Many hugz

Michelle said...

Christine, I love the effect you've achieved using this clever technique! Gorgeous card! Thanks for joining us at HLS Watercolour Challenge!

Sarn said...

Fab technique resulting in a lovely & unique card. X

sarascloset said...

I saw your thumbnail in Loll's challenge gallery, and instantly fell in love. Now that I see how it's made, I'm even more amazed! I love this technique; thank you for explaining it so clearly and for the tape together tip! Awesome results! Thank you for leaving your sweet words on my blog, as well! Totally made my day! Hugs!

Karen Dunbrook said...

love this!! gorgeous...

Kelly Szafron said...

Beautiful card! Great technique thanks for sharing your work at Happy Little Stampers.