Thursday 28 September 2023

Group of Seven Monthly Technique -Dry Embossing with Re Inker watercolouring

Hi everyone, it's time for the Group of Seven monthly technique. 




This month I led the group in a technique using Devin Roodenburg's You tube video of water colouring a background, a 3D embossing folder and Versafine Clair Nocturn ink to define the area. This is such a fun technique and much easier than using a black pen to colour in the background, but warning it may stain your embossing folder 😅

I sprayed the watercolour paper rather than painted the colour on as this was faster, I also embossed a couple of sheets before spraying the colour to allow me to choose certain areas to colour based on the embossing folder then put it back in the folder with the ink. I did this with the birds and the poinsettia. Perhaps using a brush would have given me more accurate placement of colour. With the birds below I added the orange to the beaks at the end of the process.
I also realized the Versafine Clair Nocturn ink pad needed to be very juicy to give a good black background. On the poinsettia card the black over the reds came out a brown colour and also the lower portion of the card was not completely covered with the ink. Having said that I really liked the effect, it's a little more distressed and grungy.

Simon Says Stamp Friendly Birds Embossing folder


Sizzix Tim Holtz Poinsettia Embossing folder (The large version has been discontinued)
the Versafine Black ink turned brown against the reds and oranges which I actually like.

Simon Says Stamp Alstroemeria Embossing folder

Simon Says Stamp Terrace Floral Embossing folder



Card Recipe
Stamps: Mama Elephant - Easy Christmas Greetings
Paper: Watercolour, Mixed Media, Black, 110lb shite
Ink: Versafine Clair Nocturn
Accessories: Distress Sprays
Techniques: Embossing folder

14 comments:

nancy littrell said...

Beautiful and a bit more distressed cards using the technique and your Twist, Christine to make the technique yours:-) TFS your detailed descriptions too. But Especially...Thank you for choosing this Awesome Technique for our September Group of Seven Cardmakers Technique:-) I Loved All your cards and found out quickly that this technique is addicting.

BTW..I used Rubbing Alcohol to clean all my 3D EB Folders immediately after using and got all the ink out...you do need plenty of paper towels:-) It is great that we share all our do's and don'ts on our monthly techniques:-) Love and Hugs..Nancy

Loll said...

Hi Christine. Thanks for showing our group this fabulous technique. I LOVE the look of the finished cards. And it's a fairly easy technique, which is a BONUS! :) Your cards are amazing. Thanks for the tip of dry embossing first to get the placement of your watercolours. I will do that next time. I was WOWed when I saw the first card you made with this technique and for each one you've added to your post. LOVE them!! xx

Julia Aston said...

A fun technique to try Christine - and I like your variations on inking as well. The black backgrounds really make the colors pop. I particularly love your Alstroemeria Embossed cards - the variation in the colors are so beautiful! Julia xx

HilaryJane said...

these are all stunning. what an effective technique xx

Susan said...

What a gorgeous batch of cards! You used lovely colours on all of them - and they all turned out beautifully! Well done with that technique!

aussie aNNie said...

Amazing looking cards and I LOVE all the fabulous colours and lovely design x

Pat said...

Fantastic results Christine and a great technique to come up with. I love all the different looks and there are some wonderful colour combinations, all so bright and beautiful. x

Bonnie said...

I love how bright the colors look against the backgrounds and wish I'd got as good results! Thanks for sharing this technique!

Brenda in IN said...

This technique made some of the most beautiful cards, Christine. Thanks for sharing it with us and the gorgeous cards you made. Every one is wonderful.

Papercraft Boutique said...

What a gorgeous collection of dry embossing with watercoloring cards, Christine! Adding the orange to the beaks of the birds makes them so pretty. I like the brownish-black background of the poinsettia card too. The blended colors on the Alstroemeria and Terrace Floral cards are absolutely beautiful! I can't wait to try out this technique myself!
Hideko xx

Lisa Elton said...

What a fun technique this is and you've done an amazing job! Your cards are fantastic, Christine!

Trina P. said...

What an amazing group of cards. Thanks for the tips and warnings. Not sure if I will try this technique with the possibility of staining. 🤷🏻‍♀️

nwilliams6 said...

Love this technique! Wow. Everything came out super well. I am going to try it! TFS. Great cards!!!! Hugz

BożenA said...

This technique gives spectacular results. I love the colorful birds emerging from the black background. Great idea to add orange to their beaks. But what impressed me the most was the card with poinsettia. Stunning
xx