Friday 28 April 2023

Crafty Zooming - Alcohol inks on a Gelli Plate

Hi everyone, this month it was my turn to find a technique for the Group of Seven crafters and I choose Alcohol inks on a Gel plate. You may have seen this technique from me a few months ago with my Magenta post and I saw this first on Face book by Amanda Branson. 
If you have a FB account you will need to join Reach Out With Lavinia to see Amanda's video, she and the Lavinia group are amazing artists and provide so much great inspiration. For those who don't have a Face book account the instructions are posted on the Group of Seven Crafters blog .


The technique is a a little addictive and you may end up with lots of backgrounds to use in the future. The prints have a wonderful organic look to them when they are pulled. All my cards below have Lavinia stamps.
Card 1 
I used Nuvo Clear drops on the Berries and used watercolour pencils to colour the image. I just used a damp brush to blend the colours as I used 110Lb White card stock which will tolerate a little water.


Card 2
 I added an outline in a sparkly gold gel pen and some gold highlights to the flowers and leaves. I outlined the card using gold pen.


Card 3
I used a gold pen to outline the alcohol print and to colour the dandelion. I over stamped the image with Distress Oxide Lost shadow which was a great compliment to the blue and purple print.


Card 4
I outlined the print in Silver Gel pen, coloured the image with watercolour pencils and edged the image using a silver pen.


Thanks for stopping by and I hope you get to try out this technique and like it as much as I do.



Card Recipe
Stamps: Lavinia
Paper: 110Lb White
Ink: Versafine Clair Nocturn
Accessories: Alcohol Inks, Silver and Gold Gel pens, Gold and Silver Marker Pens, Watercolour Pencils, Nuvo Clear drops.
Techniques: Gel Plate, Alcohol inks

19 comments:

Julia Aston said...

I am SO glad you had us play with this technique Christine! I'm loving the look and every pull comes out different even if you use the same colors! All four of your samples are so pretty - I still haven't found a gel pen in my craft room that works to outline the edge (!) - yours look great with that definition - I also love the text over your floral card - such a soft subtle addition to your design! Julia xx

crafty-stamper said...

Fabulous cards and backgrounds,love all the stamps you used
carol x

Loll said...

I just love this technique using the mini gelli plates, Christine. Your cards are so amazing and I love the amazing images you've used on each one. Thanks so much to introducing us to this fabulous technique! xx

Brenda in IN said...

I like them all and enjoyed doing this technique. My favorite is your second card with the bright background and pretty flowers. Thanks for sharing this with the group.

nancy littrell said...

What a fabulous mini gelli plate print technique, Christine. TFS all 4 of your beautiful inspiring mini circle plate alcohol ink print cards and hosting this awesome technique. Because of a card you made several months ago using your mini circle plate I already have this awesome mini circle plate. But now...I really know how to use it because of all the awesome card samples by you GO7 Cardmakers:-) I can't wait to play along. TFS all 4 of your beauties, my dear friend. Love and Hugs..Nancy

Lisa Elton said...

Each one is as enchanting as the next, Christine! Love that wee house on the first one!

Darnell said...

Thank you for leading this technique, Christine! I like the results more than using acrylic paints and I couldn't stop making prints and cards! (And, whee, I still have the little square one that's NBUS!) I think you've turned your results into the most charming designs with the Lavina stamps and details and I adore the bright poppy one! Hugs, Darnell

aussie aNNie said...

Oh wow.. this is amazing! Love the wonderful colours! Gorgeous gel plate results and stamps are lovely ♥

Pat said...

Four fabulous cards Christine, and I have used a gelli plate but not with alcohol inks, so seeing your inspiring designs has spurred me on to give this a go. I love your added gold and silver pen work and the added script on the third works brilliantly too. x

ahlers5 said...

They are all so pretty, but I really love the last one.

Bonnie said...

Four wonderful prints and great stamping! I love how you've colored each one that makes this technique extra special! Thanks for leading us down this path, Christine. It's been a lot of fun!

Leslie Miller said...

Oh, Christine, these are some of your best yet! The backgrounds are so pretty, and you know I love the Lavinia stamps. It's nice that you can do this technique on regular paper so stamping is easier. I love them all!

Susan said...

So glad you had us do this technique, Christine! I really like it (and it gets me to use my gelli plate!). Love the way you edged part of the circle with the blue berries on the first card. My favourite is the last one with the hare in the boat - such a serene peaceful background from the AIs.

Nstiz said...

Your backgrounds are so impressive and love the results on regular cardstock! I would have never guessed that would work. You artwork with watercolor pencils is fantastic! Great shading on those images. Three outstanding cards and so eye appealing.

HilaryJane said...

That's a brilliant choice of technique. I love how different all your backgrounds are and the random nature of the edges. Brilliant cards, thanks for the inspiration xx

BożenA said...

Beautiful set of cards, Christine. I love the effect you got with the AI on the Gelly plate. It looks amazing and I love how the colors blend beautifully. I love how you complemented the backgrounds with these beautiful images.
hugs,
BożenA

nwilliams6 said...

Christine, these are totally fabulous. I love the outline, colors, and techniques you did. Wow - I so wish I could come over and watch you make them. Lovely cards! Hugz

Trina P. said...

All the gelli plate bg are beautiful. The images you used match them perfectly. I need to get me some of these mini gelli plates v

Papercraft Boutique said...

Wow! These cards are fantastic, Christine! The background prints are beautiful and your design for each card is awesome! I especially love the dandelion card with the subtle text stamping. My new mini gelli plates will be arriving on Sunday, and I can't wait to try this technique! Thanks for your inspiration!
Hideko xx